Last week I was listening¬† to Dave Ramsey and he was talking about the 20 things you would want to SAVE if your house was on fire.¬† Here is my list
1) My Wife
1) My One Daughter (Name withheld to avoid the…Dad loves me (you) the best)
1) My Other Daughter (Ditto)
You will notice that all of the above are numbered #1.¬† This is for my own safety. I would not stop running back into a burning house until all three were safe.¬† I would easily give my life for theirs.¬† That’s not me being a hero, that’s me being selfish.¬† I couldn’t bear to live without any one of them.
4) Our Dog Madison
Number 4 above is a special case, We do consider her part of the family and I would pain me to know she suffered, but she is not as important as my family and not worth leaving the kids without a dad.¬† So as much as it would pain me to I don’t think I would go back into the burning house.¬† Plus she ate my slippers.
5) Keepsakes that were my Dad’s (His Navy uniform, a wooden box with some of his cufflinks, tie clips etc)
6) A storage tote with some quilts (and other items) my Grandma made for me and my wife, and a box of my Grandma’s dishes that I got when she died
7) The external Hard Drive that I use to back up my computer.¬† This has all of the digital photos / videos that I have taken of my girls and family.¬† I guess this is the 21st century version of the old photo albums that families used to keep in the hall closet. The only difference is in the old days I would be carrying out about 300 photo albums that hold the 30,000 pictures I have on the hard drive.¬†¬† I highly recommend you get one and start backing up your computer.¬† Click Here read how you can do it.
The picture my Wife has of her Aunt beside our bed and the painting her Aunt made before she died.
Ok at this point I’m stumped.¬† I have my family and any memories of family that could not be replaced.¬† Anything else on the list is just stuff and could easily be replaced.¬† In fact if I really think about it, I should be having a garage sale to get ride of most of it anyway, and use the money to pay off the Student Loans.¬† A house is just Sticks, Drywall, Paint and some Shingles.¬† It’s everything above that makes it a home.